WARNING This kit definitely contains dangerous things. The flexDF transponder device has not been tested or certified by any regulatory agency for implantation or use inside the human body. Use of this device is strictly at your own risk.
This is a private beta pre-order for the flexDF. The flexDF is a semi-flexible biopolymer treated inlay carrying the DESFire EV1 8kB chip, which is approximately 10mm wide by 22mm long. The beta units will be hand treated and trimmed, so not every tag will be uniform size. They will be shipped in small plastic containers with chlorhexidine solution. Installation notes for your body modification or medical professional are as follows;
– Do not install under any gripping surface (e.g. no palm side installations)
– Do not install atop or parallel to any joints (flex device are only “semi-flexible”)
– Incise skin with scalpel, making 11mm wide incision
– Lift/separate dermal layer using elevator tool
– Remove dermal tools from installation site
– Slide flexDF under skin by hand, do not use gripping tools
– Suture to close wound, do not pierce flexDF with suture needle
Things to know about this beta program
– The biopolymer is ISO 10993 and USP Class IV tested and certified, however the final product has not been tested post-processing, meaning material changes during processing could render the final product unsafe in some way. Testing is planned for later, however beta testers will be installing untested products.
– Dangerous Things founder and CEO Amal Graafstra underwent the first installation of a flex line device (a flexNT beta) on 03/02/2016 above the second metacarpal of the ring finger of his left hand. So far the installation has healed excellently and there are no signs of rejection or irritation at the installation site.
– Customers are free to install the flexDF into any area of their body. Even though we use images which suggest installation above the second metacarpal of one of the fingers, it is not an ideal location for such a device. At 10mm, the flexDF is wide, and fingers are filled with tendons, nerve bundles, and very important things all packed into a very tight space. Beta testers are free to choose a location, we just urge you to think about locations like the back of the hand or in the arm.
What will be expected of a beta tester
– Full documentation of installation and healing process by way of text and photo posts to the Facebook Beta Group.
– Return of any failed or rejected flexDFs to Dangerous Things for analysis. Please retain the casing in which your flexDF is shipped in for this purpose, just in case.
MIFARE DESFire EV1 (MF3ICD(H) 21/41/81), a Common Criteria (EAL4+) certified product, is ideal for service providers wanting to use secure multi-application smart cards in public transport schemes, access management or closed-loop e-payment applications. It is fully complies with the requirements for fast and highly secure data transmission, flexible memory organization and interoperability with existing infrastructure. MIFARE DESFire EV1 is based on open global standards for both air interface and cryptographic methods. It is compliant to all 4 levels of ISO/IEC 14443A and uses optional ISO/IEC 7816-4 commands. Featuring an on-chip backup management system and the mutual three-pass authentication, a MIFARE DESFire EV1 card can hold up to 28 different applications and 32 files per application. The size of each file is defined at the moment of its creation, making MIFARE DESFire EV1 a truly flexible and convenient product. Additionally, an automatic anti-tear mechanism is available for all file types, which guarantees transaction-oriented data integrity. With MIFARE DESFire EV1, data transfer rates up to 848 kbit/s can be achieved, allowing fast data transmission.
The main characteristics of this device are denoted by its name “DESFire”: DES indicates the high level of security using a 3DES or AES hardware cryptographic engine for enciphering transmission data and Fire indicates its outstanding position as a fast, innovative, reliable and secure IC in the contactless proximity transaction market. Hence, MIFARE DESFire EV1 brings many benefits to end users. Cardholders can experience convenient contactless ticketing while also having the possibility to use the same device for related applications such as payment at vending machines, access control or event ticketing. In other words, the MIFARE DESFire EV1 silicon solution offers enhanced consumer-friendly system design, in combination with security and reliability.